cannerynoun [ C ]uk /ˈkæn.ər.i/ us /ˈkæn.ɚ.i/
Examples from literature
- One day they stopped at a fish cannery between highway and river and asked for work.
- Peering into the cannery, they saw men and women working in a strong-smelling steam, cleaning and cutting up the fish that passed them on an endless belt, making it ready for others to pack in cans.
- Salmon canneries there are without number.
- The fruits and vegetables of California brought into existence innumerable canneries.
- Thousands and thousands of ocean salmon are caught along the northern coast and taken to the canneries.