cantonnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkæn.tɒn/ us /ˈkæn.tɑːn/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- He is not without weight in the councils of the canton.
- It was a place of three thousand inhabitants—ambitiously denominated souls in the statistical tables—and was exceedingly proud of its title of chief city of the canton.
- Some of the people of Switzerland were persuaded to belong to Austria, but all the people of the free cantons replied that they wished to remain free.
- They include the whole population of the Italian cantons, and part of the French and German.
- This city, and the little canton of which it is the capital, were then in a state of civil war.