capacity noun (AMOUNT)
The purchase of 500 tanks is part of a strategy to increase military capacity by 25 percent over the next five years.
[ + to infinitive ] It seems to be beyond his capacity to (= he seems to be unable to) follow simple instructions.
Do you think it's within his capacity to (= do you think he'll be able to) do the job without making a mess of it?
We are running below capacity (= not producing as many goods as we are able to) because of cancelled orders.
- She had an immense capacity for love.
- He lacked the capacity to listen.
- The last five years have seen a huge increase in the country's export capacity.
- The company has expanded its premises with a new 10,000 sq ft factory and plans to double capacity.
- They are trying to operate beyond the capacity of the airport.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words