carbon monoxidenoun [ U ]uk /ˌkɑː.bən məˈnɒk.saɪd/ us /ˌkɑːr.bən məˈnɑːk.saɪd/ symbol CO
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A gasoline engine should, of course, be located in an outbuilding and the exhaust pipe must extend into open air because of the deadly fumes of carbon monoxide gas.
- If you run the engine to keep warm, remember to open a window enough to provide ventilation and protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- No one can for a moment doubt the fact that carbon monoxide is one of the deadliest of poisons.
- These two poisonous gases, chlorine and carbon monoxide, when mixed together, will not readily unite, but if a ray of sunlight falls upon the mixture they combine at once.
- Two officers were brought in last night from a sap where they were overpowered by carbon monoxide.