cariesnoun [ U ]uk /ˈkeə.riːz/ us /ˈker.iːz/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Decay of the teeth, or caries, commences externally, appearing upon the enamel or bony structure of the teeth.
- Dental caries, or decay, is at first largely a chemical process and affects the tooth proper.
- The eating of sweets, and especially the sticky sweets—preserves and the like—was recognized as an important source of caries.
- The teeth are interesting in showing marked rotting or "caries," hitherto unknown in prehistoric skulls.
- Wild animals are not subject to caries or dental decay, as are man and domesticated animals.