carotid arterynoun [ C ]uk /kəˌrɒt.ɪd ˈɑː.tər.i/ us /kəˌrɑː.t̬ɪd ˈɑːr.t̬ɚ.i/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Division of the carotid artery is fatal, and of the internal jugular vein very dangerous on account of entrance of air.
- It was pierced by a very small but very deep wound, which had divided the carotid artery.
- The throb of the two carotid arteries may be plainly felt by pressing the thumb and finger backwards on each side of the larynx.
- Then the physicians who had attended the dead man were called, and testified that the knife-blade had penetrated the left carotid artery, and that he had bled to death—was dead, indeed, before they reached him.
- Two years ago I began a series of experiments on epileptics and maniacs, which involved the application of protracted pressure to the common carotid artery on both sides.