catchernoun [ C ]uk /ˈkætʃ.ər/ us /ˈketʃ.ɚ/
Examples from literature
- A catcher should not stand with his feet too widely apart.
- A word about high foul flies, since many of the catcher's put-outs are from these hits.
- He saw the scurry of uniformed figures to the field, the catcher adjusted his mask.
- It therefore follows that a catcher who cannot throw accurately to the bases becomes a serious disadvantage to his team.
- The pitcher will now send the catcher the ball wide of the plate and at a height where the catcher can handle it easily.