› giving a warning
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- (I) told you (so)! idiom
- (just) you wait idiom
- cautionary tale
- do you want to make something/anything of it? idiom
- early warning system
- emergency cord
- fire a (warning) shot across sb's bow idiom
- ring/sound alarm bells idiom
- tip sb off
- wake-up call
- warning/alarm bells start to ring/sound idiom
Examples from literature
- Cautionary day and night signals are displayed at the principal ports and harbors when dangerous winds or storms are anticipated.
- Happily, there was no need for the cautionary measure.
- His aunt once called him into her room, and with a cautionary frown on her brow, bade him go dance.
- The big hand slipped from my shoulder and became a cautionary signal to flag me down.
- This remark startled me, and I was prompted to make a cautionary observation.