cellarnoun [ C ]uk /ˈsel.ər/ us /ˈsel.ɚ/
- He's got an impressively large store of wine in his cellar.
- He led us down a small staircase into a dank, dark cellar.
- We had to fumigate the cellar to get rid of cockroaches.
- This house has a large cellar which is excellent for storage.
- They cleared out the cellar and transformed it into a lovely playroom for the kids.
Examples from literature
- Paul had gone down into the cellar and let the door fall behind him.
- Ten thousand pounds of powder are in these cellars.
- The cream should stand down cellar over night, after being scalded, that it may get perfectly cold.
- The currants are to be washed and squeezed in the usual way, and the juice placed in a stone or earthen vessel, and set away in a cool place in the cellar.
- Windows there were none in the cellar.