centipedenoun [ C ]uk /ˈsen.tɪ.piːd/ us /ˈsen.t̬ə.piːd/
- A centipede walks on many small legs, and it can even run if there is danger.
- Centipedes also have two larger, special legs that they use to catch and eat their food – like teeth!
- Centipedes have even more legs than insects do.
- Centipedes walk on many, many legs!
- Millipedes have more legs than centipedes, but millipedes move slowly because they have short legs that can’t go very far.
- The word centipede means “one hundred feet,” but some centipedes have only thirty feet, whereas others have three hundred!