centurionnoun [ C ]uk /senˈtjʊə.ri.ən/ us /senˈtʊr.i.ən/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- A centurion carried a staff made of a vine-branch, for disciplinary purposes.
- An urgent demand arose that the customary fees to centurions for granting furlough should be abolished, for they constituted a sort of annual tax upon the common soldier.
- The cohorts chose each their centurions: two senators were placed at the head of each cohort.
- The other centurions marched each at the head of his company, glittering with their armour and decorations.
- When he was centurion, Trajan had summoned him to enter his presence before the prefects, whereupon he said: "It is a shame for you, Caesar, to be talking with a centurion, while the prefects stand outside."