certainadjectiveuk /ˈsɜː.tən/ us /ˈsɝː.tən/
certain adjective (WITHOUT DOUBT)
certain adjective (EXTREMELY LIKELY)
- His execution became certain when the state board refused his request for commutation.
- With Steve Lewis at the helm, we are certain of success.
- Reducing the number of staff is certain to inflame the already angry medical profession.
- It is by no means certain that we'll finish the project by June.
- She is riding the fastest horse and is certain to romp home.
- all roads lead to Rome idiom
- be (only) a matter of time idiom
- be damned if you do and damned if you don't idiom
- be nothing for it idiom
- be part and parcel of sth idiom
- it can't be helped idiom
- seal sb's fate idiom
certain adjective (NAMED)
certain adjective (LIMITED)
certaindetermineruk /ˈsɜː.tən/ us /ˈsɝː.tən/
- The disease seems to be specific to certain types of plant.
- Some people find that certain foods trigger their headaches.
- It's against the law to leave children under a certain age alone in the house.
- Farmers are eligible for government support if they let a certain amount of land lie fallow.
- I'm allergic to certain foods.