chaffinchnoun [ C ]uk /ˈtʃæf.ɪntʃ/ us /ˈtʃæf.ɪntʃ/
Examples from literature
- Every four or five minutes a chaffinch sings close by, and another fills the interval near the gateway.
- How curious is the structure of the nest of the goldfinch or chaffinch!
- The chaffinches called cheerfully on the plum-trees and sang in the early morning.
- The daisies and the dandelions were still tightly shut, and in the hedgerow a half-awakened chaffinch hopped from twig to twig, too sleepy to chirrup.
- Wherever a group of other trees rose amid the firs, the loud chirp of the chaffinch was heard, or the eager twitter of some little newly-wedded birds, disputing about the position of their nest.