chairwomannoun [ C ]uk /ˈtʃeəˌwʊm.ən/ us /ˈtʃerˌwʊm.ən/ plural -women uk /-wɪmɪn/ us also chair, chairperson
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Kate passed the message to the chairwoman.
- Mrs. Cox was the chairwoman of the Committee.
- Ruth was sent for and questioned by Miss Mackenzie, our chairwoman.
- She turned from her responsive audience to the chairwoman, who handed her a yellow envelope.
- When they were all seated round the table Miss Mackenzie, who was chairwoman, took out the agenda and read its contents aloud.