challengernoun [ C ]uk /ˈtʃæl.ɪn.dʒər/ us /ˈtʃæl.ɪn.dʒɚ/
Examples from literature
- In pity of the challenger's youth I would fain dissuade him, but he will not be entreated.
- So he leaped from his chariot, in his clanging armor, and advanced to meet the challenger.
- The tournament being over, the Norman offered himself as general challenger at wrestling.
- The two challengers having found him alone would not take any advantage of him, but agreed to fight him one after the other, like brave and generous knights.
- You are bigger than I, and it would hardly be fair, replied Tom, surveying the bulky form of his challenger.