charlatannoun [ C ]uk /ˈʃɑː.lə.tən/ us /ˈʃɑːr.lə.t̬ən/ disapproving
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Charlatans and showmen and medical quacks call things facts that are not facts.
- I have never tried to break through his guard, but I feel certain that he is a deliberate charlatan.
- In his assumption of the seer, Blake was not a charlatan: he believed fully in his supernatural privileges.
- One of his main weaknesses was a habit of boasting and exaggerating his own powers, which at first imposed upon a vulgar audience and then left them under the impression that he was a charlatan.
- The doctor charlatan steals your money under the guise of being your benefactor.