checkersnoun [ U ]uk /ˈtʃek.əz/ us /-ɚz/ US UK draughts
Examples from literature
- And there was the checker-board if they wanted to play checkers or dominoes.
- Here are men playing checkers, dominoes, and other games.
- The sailors amused themselves after the manner of sailors everywhere, playing dominoes, cards and checkers, boxing and telling stories.
- To while away the time they played games and taught the Inca checkers and chess, as well as bowling-on-the-green and quoits.
- You can jump as in checkers: that is, you can go over a counter if there is a blank space behind it.