chessnoun [ U ]uk /tʃes/ us /tʃes/
- I'm not conversant with the rules of chess.
- She's quite a hotshot at chess.
- In chess, the pieces can only move in certain directions.
- If you want to get anywhere in chess, you have to study the various openings.
- The Russian chess team have routed all the rest.
Examples from literature
- Football is a game – but chess, video games, and hide and seek are games, too, each with its own rules.
- It's fun to play chess against a computer.
- One brain scientist said that, although we can make a computer that can beat world champions at chess, we still can’t make a robot that can move nearly as well as us.
- There are chess competitions and chess stars.