church noun (BUILDING)
The town has four churches.
- They built the church on the edge of the village.
- In many churches the side aisles are separated from the central aisle by a row of arches.
- The bride and groom posed for pictures outside the church.
- Do you know the way to St Peter's Church?
- I found her kneeling in prayer at the back of the church.
church noun (ORGANIZATION)
I'll see her after church.
They go to church every Sunday.
the Church [ S ]
- In Britain, the Queen is the head of the established church.
- The church has strongly condemned the violence.
- Instead of defending traditional values, the church frequently seems weak-kneed and irresolute.
- The church accused him of impiety and had all his writings burned.
- We joined the Methodist/Anglican/Roman Catholic Church in 1975.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: