ciliumnoun [ C ]uk /ˈsɪl.i.əm/ us /ˈsɪl.i.əm/ plural cilia uk /-ə/ us specialized
Examples from literature
- The body is covered with uniform cilia except at the anterior extremity.
- The cilia move very rapidly when quite fresh, and are therefore not easily seen.
- The cilia which propel them secure the aeration of the system.
- The entire body is covered with uniform and delicate cilia, which are placed in longitudinal rows.
- They are little oval bodies with two cilia, which may sometimes be rendered visible by staining with iodine.