coastlinenoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈkəʊst.laɪn/ us /ˈkoʊst.laɪn/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Its coastline looked flat, but high mountains rose in the distance.
- Most of the inhabitants are found within easy reach of the coastline.
- That flat coastline curving southward is the coast of Egypt.
- The low and sandy character of the western sides of these islands differs much from that of the opposite shore, where the coastline is formed by steep rocky cliffs whose bases are washed by the sea.
- The shore consists of long, sandy beaches, separated by low and stony points, which project very little beyond the coastline.