code noun (LANGUAGE)
B2 [ C or U ] a system of words, letters, or signs used to represent a message in secret form, or a system of numbers, letters, or signals used to represent something in a shorter or more convenient form:
- She ran her code through the compiler.
- They cracked the code and read the secret message.
- Each person's genetic code is unique except in the case of identical twins.
- The enemy were unable to break the code .
- We realized that his message was some kind of code.
code noun (RULES)
- The club has a strict code of conduct.
- Members must conform to a strict dress code.
- Most evenings there's a party and the dress code is strict - black tie only.
- He said he was bound by a scientist's code of ethics.
- Newspaper editors have agreed a new code of practice on the invasion of privacy.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: