cogitateverb [ I ]uk /ˈkɒdʒ.ɪ.teɪt/ us /ˈkɑː.dʒə.teɪt/ formal
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
noun [ C or U ] uk /ˌkɒdʒ.ɪˈteɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌkɑː.dʒəˈteɪ.ʃən/
Examples from literature
- 'Let me see,' said the manager cogitating after dinner.
- Hal looked doubtful, and seemed to cogitate.
- Here she began actively and seriously to cogitate.
- There was no reply to the summons, and I was cogitating upon my next move when, happening to press against the door with my hand, I discovered that it was not latched.
- While he was cogitating over this he heard a shrill whistle from below.