combatantnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkɒm.bə.tənt/ us /ˈkɑːm.bə.tənt/ formal
Examples from literature
- Some of the cowboys rushed into the corral and with shouts and cries endeavored to separate the combatants.
- The archers of the guard rushed in, as was their duty, and separated the remaining combatants.
- The new Commander-in-Chief on the Western front, and his new Chief of Staff, inspire confidence in all ranks, combatant and non-combatant.
- The victory was still undecided, though the combatants seemed to groan with each breath they drew.
- You proved by your words and conduct that you were not a combatant, and you are at liberty to depart when you please.