comic operanoun [ C or U ]uk /ˌkɒm.ɪk ˈɒp.ər.ə/ us /ˌkɑː.mɪk ˈɑː.pɚ.ə/
Examples from literature
- And in the midst of these crushing trials he was expected to compose a comic opera!
- He had been there twenty years, and he had never before heard of such singing in comic opera.
- It was not till a comic opera came along that Eileen was able to take the theatre seriously.
- The scene was certainly a strange one—as strange as if taken from a comic opera.
- There were straight plays, comic operas, and melodramas.