commandantnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkɒm.ən.dænt/ us /ˈkɑː.ən.dænt/
Examples from literature
- And who is the commandant of this fortress?
- As yet, they had not touched one of the enemy, and the young commandant was chagrined, anxious and annoyed.
- I am commandant here, with power of life and death, and I tell you that he shall certainly die—and his blood will be on your head.
- Lieutenant King, the commandant, wrote in good spirits, and spoke of meeting all his difficulties like a man determined to overcome them.
- When the Portuguese commandant learned of this, he sent to the ruler of the island to demand those robbers who had mutinied on one of the king's ships.