commandmentnoun [ C ]uk /kəˈmɑːnd.mənt/ us /kəˈmænd.mənt/
Examples from literature
- 'I suppose it is because he breaks the commandments.
- First he gave them laws, beginning with the Ten Commandments and ending with the Golden Rule, and then established courts where laws could be faithfully administered.
- In the Torah there are ten commandments concerning retribution for murder, which would not be possible to enforce at the present time and under existing conditions of the world.
- It was better to have a real captain who was a scoundrel, than a man who knew nothing but kept the Commandments.
- What is more extraordinary is that they did keep God's commandments for the rest of their lives.