commissariatnoun [ C, + sing/pl verb ]uk /ˌkɒm.ɪˈseə.ri.ət/ us /ˌkɑː.məˈser.i.ət/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Get out a skirmish line, nominate our spies, bolster up our defences, set a watch, court-martial the prisoners, and look into the commissariat.
- He also contracted to supply the commissariat, which he did with advantage to the army and profit to himself.
- I want the commissariat properly organized.
- In his youth he had been a contractor to supply mules for the use of the Roman commissariat.
- The commissariat wagons had come up in the night, and rations were served out to the troops and breakfast prepared.