communication cordnoun [ C ]uk /kə.mjuː.nɪˈkeɪ.ʃən ˌkɔːd/ us /kə.mjuː.nəˈkeɪ.ʃən ˌkɔːrd/ UK US emergency cord
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- (I) told you (so)! idiom
- (just) you wait idiom
- cautionary tale
- do you want to make something/anything of it? idiom
- early warning system
- emergency cord
- fire a (warning) shot across sb's bow idiom
- ring/sound alarm bells idiom
- tip sb off
- wake-up call
- warning/alarm bells start to ring/sound idiom
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- So perhaps it'd be just as well for me not to have thought of the communication cord, eh?
- Then I made for the handle of the communication cord.
- Well, said the meek voice, "the cost of pulling a communication cord is I still five pounds, and you can have just as good a pull as ever."
- Why didn't you pull the communication cord? asked the station-master, pompously stern.