commutatornoun [ C ]uk /ˈkɒm.jə.teɪ.tər/ us /ˈkɑː.mjə.teɪ.t̬ɚ/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Brushes sparking badly on commutator of dynamo—due to poor contact.
- Q. Why should sandpaper be used to smooth commutator instead of emery cloth?
- The first dynamos were constructed with two commutator bars.
- There are fifteen sections in the commutator, and each coupling is connected to a section.
- These vibrations are adjusted to a very narrow range, but are sufficient to close the contacts of a commutator which reverses the current at each semi-vibration of the pendulum.