compareverb [T]uk /kəmˈpeər/ us /-per/
compare verb [T] (EXAMINE DIFFERENCES)
- If you compare the two books side by side, it is clear that the author of the second has plagiarized (from the first).
- The number of people who applied for the course was 120 compared with an initial estimate of between 50 and 100.
- I thought myself very sophisticated compared with my relatives in the country.
- This matter really isn't very important if you compare it to the other problems we've got to deal with.
- The judges compared all the cakes in the cake competition for taste, texture, colour and general appearance.
compare verb [T] (CONSIDER SIMILARITIES)
comparenounuk /kəmˈpeər/ us /-per/ literary