competeverb [ I ]uk /kəmˈpiːt/ us /kəmˈpiːt/
Are you competing in the 100 metres?
- Men and women ought to be able to compete for jobs on an equal footing.
- The company has to be able to compete globally.
- The company lacks the marketing muscle to compete with drug giants.
- We're only a small business and don't have the capital to compete with the big boys.
- For the magazine to be successful, it will have to compete in the big league against leading weekly women's magazines.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: