compotenoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈkɒm.pɒt/ us /ˈkɑːm.poʊt/
Examples from literature
- Compote of Fruit.—A compote of fruit consists of a variety of fresh fruits mixed together in a bowl.
- In summer the compote of fruits is much improved by the addition of a lump of ice and a glass of good old brandy.
- Let cook and serve hot with apple compote.
- Line a well-buttered pudding-dish with slices of sponge-cake and cover with peach compote.
- Then I discovered a compote, or preserve made of rose-leaves, which was so sweet and fragrant that we began promptly eating.