confidence noun (CERTAINTY)
[ + to infinitive ] He has the confidence to walk into a room of strangers and immediately start a conversation.
- She's certainly gained (in) confidence over the last couple of years.
- After six defeats in a row, the team's confidence has been badly shaken.
- The government is trying to restore public confidence in its management of the economy.
- Passing my driving test was such a boost to my confidence.
- I don't have much confidence in him after his behaviour in recent months.
confidence noun (SECRET)