congratulateverb [ T ]uk /kənˈɡrætʃ.ə.leɪt/ us /kənˈɡrætʃ.ə.leɪt/
- The defeated candidate gave a dignified speech in which he congratulated his rival.
- His plan was such a success that even his original critics had to congratulate him.
- Granny rang up to congratulate him on passing his exams.
- I must congratulate you - this is a very impressive piece of work.
- It is my wife you should be congratulating - she did all the hard work.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adjective uk /kənˌɡrætʃ.əˈleɪ.tər.i/ us /kənˈɡrætʃ.əl.ə.tɔːr.i/
a congratulatory speech