conquistadornoun [ C ]uk /kɒnˈkwɪs.tə.dɔːr/ us /kɑːnˈkiː.stə.dɔːr/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- Conquistadors and other European explorers did terrible things to native people so that they could get gold to take home.
- Conquistadors were Spanish or Portuguese explorers and soldiers who came to the Americas looking for land, adventure, and gold.
- Coronado was a conquistador.
- For over 60 years, Spanish conquistadors had taken incredible amounts of gold and silver from the many people and rich gold mines of North and South America.
- Then news of their gold came to the conquistadors.
- When the conquistadors arrived, they met many native people.
- It was this conquistador who was responsible for the second and permanent founding of the city of Buenos Aires.
- The conquistador nearly always risked much of his own before he set sail from his native land.
- This feeble civilization then received a more cruel shock than that which had been dealt it by the storming columns of the conquistadors.