consciousnessnoun [ U ]uk /ˈkɒn.ʃəs.nəs/ us /ˈkɑːn.ʃəs.nəs/
consciousness noun [ U ] (UNDERSTANDING)
- The children have no consciousness of being different.
- He is completely unaware of gender issues - we will have to raise his consciousness.
- Her consciousness of the feelings of others was the thing that made her a fantastic doctor.
- He shows no consciousness that others might find him boring.
- Does she have any consciousness of how rude other people find her?
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- as every schoolboy/schoolchild knows idiom
- at/in the back of your mind idiom
- be ahead of the game idiom
- general knowledge
- have a nodding acquaintance with sb/sth idiom