consequencenoun [ C ]uk /ˈkɒn.sɪ.kwəns/ us /ˈkɑːn.sə.kwəns/
Scientists think it is unlikely that any species will actually become extinct as a consequence of the oil spill.
of little/no consequence C1 also not of any/much consequence
- The accident was the inevitable consequence of carelessness.
- He left as a direct consequence of what she said.
- The drought has had devastating consequences.
- The government is trying to do more to educate the public about the consequences of drug abuse.
- He always makes snap decisions and never thinks about their consequences.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words