constitutional monarchynoun [ C ]uk /ˌkɒn.stɪ.tjuː.ʃən.əl ˈmɒn.ə.ki/ us /ˌkɑːn.stɪ.tuː.ʃən.əl ˈmɑː.nɚ.ki/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A constitutional monarchy existed nowhere, except perhaps in England.
- In all the constitutional monarchies we find legislative bodies similar to our Congress.
- In constitutional monarchies the ruler holds his position by heredity, but there exists also a constitution, which defines the distribution of powers among the branches that compose the government and fixes the limits of authority vested in each.
- It is true that under a constitutional monarchy, the royalty is above politics.
- It was determined that the King should no longer be absolute, and the choice lay between a constitutional monarchy and a republic.