contraltonoun [ C ]uk /kənˈtræl.təʊ/ us /kənˈtræl.t̬oʊ/ plural contraltos or contralti uk /-ti/ us
Examples from literature
- Contralto voices range generally from G, below middle C in the treble clef, up to F, the upper line of the clef.
- He has been chided by some because he has a magnificent contralto voice and scarcely ever uses it.
- Her voice was a rich contralto.
- She had a good voice, a low contralto.
- Unconsciously her slightly husky contralto voice had sunk lower and trembled audibly.