The book was very controversial.
- They hold widely divergent opinions on controversial issues like abortion.
- Eugenics was the central, and most controversial, part of his social philosophy.
- The official censors have excised the controversial sections of the report.
- Her controversial speech was punctuated with noisy interjections from the audience.
- She's been in the limelight recently, following the release of her controversial new film.
adverb uk /ˌkɒn.trəˈvɜː.ʃəl.i/ us /ˌkɑːn.trəˈvɝː.ʃəl.i/