conviction noun (CRIME)
- Fresh evidence has emerged that casts doubts on the men's conviction.
- He got off with a fairly light sentence because it was his first conviction.
- The district attorney said if McVeigh is given the death penalty and his conviction is upheld on appeal, the state prosecution would become moot.
- Because of a previous conviction, the judge refused to grant bail .
- His conviction was quashed in March 1986 after his counsel argued that the police evidence was a tissue of lies.
conviction noun (OPINION)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words