cotton ginnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkɒt.ən ˌdʒɪn/ us /ˈkɑː.t̬ən ˌdʒɪn/
Examples from literature
- It was dusk before we got within sight of the grist mill and cotton gin.
- On the Miller plantation there was a cotton gin.
- The influence of the horse reaper on our political history, therefore, is as important as the influence of the steam locomotive or of the cotton gin.
- The invention of the cotton gin and textile machinery created a market for cotton which the planters, with all their skill and energy, could hardly supply.
- Yet all the time the South was growing richer because of the cotton gin.