cotyledonnoun [ C ]uk /ˌkɒt.ɪˈliː.dən/ us /ˌkɑː.t̬əˈliː.dən/ specialized
Examples from literature
- A few plants that bear cones like the pines have several cotyledons.
- After roasting, the shell is brittle and quite free from the cotyledons or kernel.
- Skin the peas in question, separate the cotyledons, and break them up as may be necessary.
- The ants enjoyed the sprouting cotyledons of all but one.
- Within the cotyledon will be found a little growing shoot pointed toward the top of the kernel.