coughverb [ I ]uk /kɒf/ us /kɑːf/
The smoke made me cough.
- She took too big a gulp of whisky and started to cough and splutter.
- He coughed loudly to warn them he was coming.
- She is coughing terribly.
- Some idiot coughed all the way through the concert.
- The smoke made me cough.
coughnoun [ C ]uk /kɒf/ us /kɑːf/
- You should see a doctor about that cough.
- I'm sorry - is my cough annoying you?
- Symptoms of the illness include a high temperature and a persistent dry cough.
- Have you seen a quack about that cough?
- The cough, wheeze and shortness of breath are things that go with smoking, not with age.