debatenoun [ C or U ]uk /dɪˈbeɪt/ us /dɪˈbeɪt/
- The debate completely changed course after Liz made her speech.
- The debate about food safety has engaged the whole nation.
- She issued a challenge to her rival candidates to take part in a public debate.
- The prison riots have sharpened the debate about how prisons should be run.
- This proposal will almost certainly spark another countrywide debate about how to organize the school system.
In Parliament today, MPs debated the Finance Bill.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: