debatenoun [C or U]uk /dɪˈbeɪt/ us /dɪˈbeɪt/
- The debate completely changed course after Liz made her speech.
- The debate about food safety has engaged the whole nation.
- She issued a challenge to her rival candidates to take part in a public debate.
- The prison riots have sharpened the debate about how prisons should be run.
- This proposal will almost certainly spark another countrywide debate about how to organize the school system.
debateverbuk /dɪˈbeɪt/ us /dɪˈbeɪt/
- agonize over/about sth
- chew sth over
- chew the cud idiom
- chew your cud idiom
- joined-up thinking
- lateral thinking
- let me see/let's see idiom
- let's see idiom
- take sth into account idiom
- the thought crosses sb's mind idiom
- think sth out
- think sth over
- think sth through