defendverbuk us /dɪˈfend/
defend verb (PROTECT)
- All the police officers were equipped with shields to defend themselves against the rioters.
- The general rallied his forces to defend the town.
- A female lion defends her young ferociously.
- Instead of defending traditional values, the church frequently seems weak-kneed and irresolute.
- In the past, the party would have closed ranks around its leader and defended him loyally.
defend verb (IN COURT OF LAW)
defend verb (IN SPORT)
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: