defend verb (PROTECT)
The president was asked how he could defend (= explain his support for) a policy that increased unemployment.
- All the police officers were equipped with shields to defend themselves against the rioters.
- The general rallied his forces to defend the town.
- A female lion defends her young ferociously.
- Instead of defending traditional values, the church frequently seems weak-kneed and irresolute.
- In the past, the party would have closed ranks around its leader and defended him loyally.
defend verb (IN COURT OF LAW)
defend verb (IN SPORT)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: