defensive adjective (PROTECTING)
- Research involving the use of biological warfare agents will be used for defensive purposes.
- The merest hint of criticism makes him defensive.
- The tone of the feminist speakers suggested they were adopting a rather defensive posture.
- Some of the tunnels in the cliff are natural, some were carved out by soldiers for defensive purposes.
- The anti-personnel mines were laid around the town as a defensive measure.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: