demagoguenoun [ C ]disapproving US also demagog uk /ˈdem.ə.ɡɒɡ/ us /ˈdem.ə.ɡɑːɡ/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
adjective uk /ˌdem.əˈɡɒdʒ.ɪk/ us /ˌdem.əˈɡɑː.dʒɪk/
adverb uk /ˌdem.əˈɡɒdʒ.ɪ.kəl.i/ us /ˌdem.əˈɡɑː.dʒɪ.kəl.i/
noun [ U ] uk /ˌdem.əˈɡɒɡ.ər.i/ us /ˌdem.əˈɡɑː.ɡɚ.i/
Examples from literature
- Beware of the demagogue in whatever guise he presents himself.
- In this condition the demagogue harangued the people.
- The Free People of these United States have spoken, and consigned these wicked demagogues to their proper doom.
- The demagogues howled for a battle.
- The story of the carriage was told, and he was declared to be a turbulent demagogue, only desirous of getting popularity.